Thursday, January 3, 2008

Uh oh...

As part of our morning routine we get the boys changed and dressed in their rooms in the morning and then bring them down to the family room where they can run around, eat some dry cereal for a snack, and play with their toys. These guys are pretty...well..."regular" if you know what I mean so I can expect some funny facial expressions and grunting within the first hour or two.

Well, this morning Nathan did his business and I promptly got him on the changing table and started dealing with the hazmat situation (wishing I had my gas mask). About 30 seconds into the change, I heard an evil sounding giggle from across the room. I turned in time to see Daniel with a full bag of cereal in one hand and the binder clip (which used to be on the cereal bag) in the other hand. People in severe high stress situations often describe time stopping or slowing down during the critical incident. Well, time stopped for me. I immediately flashed back to an incident a couple weeks back when Daniel grabbed hold of a cereal bag and proceeded to turn it upside down, gleefully watching the cereal balls (Trader Joe's Gorrilla Munch) rolling all over the floor. I'm sure this is what he was also thinking about when our eyes met . I swear he had a Clint Eastwood expression on his face saying, "Well...I got one question for you punk...do you feel lucky? Huh? Well, do ya?"

I didn't want to risk leaving a not-yet-changed Nathan perched on the changing table (not to mention the havoc he could cause with...well, you know) so I started negotiating with my 17-month old child. It wasn't pretty but I think the verbal stalling tactic (pleading, making strange noises, jumping up and down) worked as Daniel stopped in his tracks while I quickly finished up with Nathan. In the end, disaster was averted...this time.

No comments: