Friday, April 4, 2008

Boys & Girls

Boys and girls are different....they just are. It's one thing to crash into a wall, bump your head, and learn your lesson not to do that again (ie. Rachel). It's another when you repeatedly crash your head into the wall or crash into your twin brother and giggle about it (thus, not learning any lessons about the negative effects of repeated head banging and furthermore, does nothing towards that full-ride scholarship that dad is banking on to put all the kids through college).

Exhibit "A"


Rachel, on the other hand, was a much more careful toddler growing up. She was very daring and would climb everything but she rarely fell because she took a few extra seconds to do simple things like...oh...making sure there was something to step on before walking off a ledge. I'm reminded of that example because just as I write this, I hear a scream and look to see Daniel's feet pointing straight up in the air because he was climbing on the play structure, went over the ledge, and is now stuck in a headstand position. When I go over to check him out he stops crying and giggles like "Hey dad, check me out!"

Even though Rachel loved climbing, playing, and rough-housing, she already exhibited some "girly" habits at an early age. In this video, she's making mom proud by doing some comparison shopping (I should note that this behavior, while promising and sophisticated for a toddler, scares the living daylights out of me because if she keeps this up, it's going to get REALLY expensive in about 10 years).

No comments: