Friday, November 30, 2007

Kid Math - Part 1


A few weeks back we took the kids to Natural Bridges State Beach with hopes of seeing some of the Monarch Butterflies that migrate there each year. We brought Rachel's good friend Rebecca along too. I've always had a habit of observing people and my surroundings so I began to notice the reaction of people as they walked by us:
First glance: Cordial eye contact followed by polite smile

Second glance: Eyes travel down to twins sitting in stroller, smile remains (but they're thinking, "how cute....you must have your hands full")

Third glance: Eyes travel to Rachel and Rebecca, smile disappears, look of shock on their face..."you have two sets of twins!??!?...What were you thinking? Are you out of your mind?"
After explaining that Rebecca was just a friend of Rachel's but only two months apart, people would walk away shaking their heads. We had interactions like these with just about everyone we walked by.

Before I get into the math part I should probably confess that I BARELY passed geometry in high school and (true story) made a deal with my Math Analysis teacher to pass me as long as I didn't cut class and showed up everyday. Now you know why I never became a doctor, engineer, or rocket scientist. With that being said, here's my math theory with kids:

2 + 1 + 1 = 2

I know...it's profound but it makes complete sense to me. Here's the translation: 2 (Nathan & Daniel) + 1 (Rachel) + 1 (Rebecca) = 2....only having to take care of 2 kids. Yvonne and I have found that bringing a friend of Rachel's along actually makes things much easier. Rachel doesn't get bored, has a blast playing with her friend, and the parents are much happier and relaxed. It's like they cancel each other out.


By the way, the math teacher honored the deal and passed me.

No comments: