Yesterday, all three boys missed their naps. We were waiting for the nuclear meltdown to take place during dinner but things didn't turn out too bad. Little did we know, the boys were just holding out. Long story short, about half an hour after the grown-ups entered into blissful REM sleep, the twins took turns waking up, crying hysterically, and asking for a variety of mundane things (water, nighttime prayer, songs, etc). Once one was down, the other would wait about 20 minutes and wake up to repeat above steps (while the other slept through the entire tirade). Why bother wreaking havoc all at once when you can stretch it out over the course of a night right? It finally ended after each got a LATE midnight snack around 3 in the morning.
After replaying the night's events in my head today. I was struck by Nathan's demeanor during his late night snack. Daniel was genuinely upset and had to be calmed down. He didn't really eat at dinner so he was probably starving from all the screaming going on. Nathan, on the other hand, started crying after Daniel came back from his snack. He started mimicking everything Daniel was complaining about but when I got him into the kitchen, he was totally fine, stopped crying completely, and was just enjoying his snack. Judging by the expression on his face, it would not have surprised me if he started asking me about the weather or my thoughts on the global economic crisis (all while happily snacking on Cheerios and milk).
I couldn't help but wonder what kind of planning might have taken place in their room last night:
[Parents walk out of room, say good night]
Daniel: Psssst...hey bro, you asleep?
Nathan: Nope...good to go
Daniel: Should we start by throwing everything out of the crib or just scream at the top of our lungs until they come?
Nathan: Patience young one....let's let them fall asleep first
[20 minutes pass...]
Daniel: OK...let's do this
Nathan: Ok, commence Operation Will Breaker....
[For the next few hours, the twins take their parents on a journey fit for boot camp or Survivor]
[Daniel returns from his late night snack...]
Daniel: Hmmm...yum. Check it out, cry hard enough and mom and dad will take you downstairs and hook you up with some Cheerios.
Nathan: Really? Should I scream about my foot being stuck in the crib or go "low key" with the incessant whine?
Daniel: Go with the whine. It drives mom and dad absolutely nuts. I try not to overuse it but hey, it works
Nathan: Sounds good. You want me to bring you anything from downstairs?
Daniel: Nah [burp]....I'm good. I'm gonna get some sleep. I'm exhausted.

1 comment:
*snort* Their level of planning probably puts some governments to shame ;)
Post a Comment