Monday, September 8, 2008

Distressed

When buying furniture, some people opt to pay a little more and go for a "distressed pine" finish. Knowing what I know now, I don't think we'd ever pay more for "distressed pine" again. It turns out a 2 year old with a fork can produce the EXACT same results on any wood finish. Somewhere out there, there's a factory full of beautiful furniture traveling past an assembly line of toddlers with forks.

If you look closely around our house we have "distressed" walls, floors, tables, and parents. We even have a very "distressed" window pane in our living room that was on the receiving end of a split fingered fastball (the investigation is ongoing to determine who the suspect was...we have two candidates and one possible "person of interest" in mind).

You be the judge...one photo is the real thing and the other was "custom made" at home:


If you are interested, the Hsiung Kids distressed pine services can be contracted out at a very reasonable price. Forks not included. Disclaimer: Customer understands that this is a "use at your own risk" service. Not responsible for damage to other items in household.

3 comments:

The Tam Ohana said...

Ha ha, you're right. If Yvonne never showed me the furniture you bought purposely distressed, I would've been wrong. (Although Bill guessed right.)

That's too funny!

Frank said...

Hmmmm...how distressing. :-)

Fedora said...

Hmm... I'm guessing the top one is your custom version, but what do I know?

Can I interest you in some custom wall-murals? These artists work in several media, and the prices are incredibly reasonable--snacks, anyone? Uh, the murals are likely limited to the say... lower three or four feet of wall space... Anyone?