In the span of the last 15 minutes the following has happened:
- Both boys sitting in their cribs quietly looking at books
- Both lay down and give every indication they are about to sleep
- All is good and I'm about to grab a few minutes of shut-eye myself
- For no apparent reason, Nathan stands up, walks to the end of his crib, and decides now is the best time to demonstrate his belly-flop technique on his mattress (followed by giggles)
- Daniel's head darts up, he giggles back, and so begins the belly-flop contest
- It gets quiet for a few minutes as each boy lays down again
- Nathan then tries jumping up and down while holding on to the side of the crib. His feet both get stuck when they slide through the vertical crib rails.
- Nathan starts screaming and Daniel joins in (though he doesn't really know why)
- I put my laptop down and pull Nathan out. Seeing that both limbs are still attached, I put him back on the mattress
- It gets quiet again
- Nathan now hangs on the crib rail and PURPOSELY sticks his two feet through the rails again and then starts screaming again. I shoot him a look like, "Not this time mister...you're on your own"
- Daniel decides to join in and he sticks his feet through the rails and starts screaming
- They do this for three rounds
- It's important to note that they don't cry when they are sitting down in order to get in position to stick their feet out
- It's like they sit, scoot forward, stick their feet out, try to make eye contact with me, and then flip the scream switch
- The tandem stereo screaming would put a Bose audio system to shame. I should record it and use it to coerce barricaded subjects out of a house...no human would be able to endure this for long. Better yet, I should save the recording for ten years and use it to wake these guys up when they're trying to sleep past 6am every day.
- Both lay down again
- Mix in a few rounds of giggles and blowing raspberries...
- ...and now it's quiet

1 comment:
That idea's really funny. Using their crying as an alarm clock. Kinda like if a dog craps on a carpet, you rub its face in it. Right? I've never had a dog.
Post a Comment